Friday, June 7, 2013

Football...Err...Rugby!

Back in Bama, football isn't "just a game", it's a way of life.  The SEC (South Eastern Conference for those of you confused) is THE best college football conference there ever has been, is, or will be!!  Yeah, I know there's some who disagree, and they're entitled to their opinion but they don't know any better.  It's somewhat of a big deal down south, but even MORE important is what specific team you pull for.  In Alabama, "Who you go for" is decided upon at birth.  Your choices are simple, Auburn or Alabama.  Seriously, you're born, the doctor looks at you and asks "Who you go for?"  Babies answer, well, not really, but their parents do (and that's who you'll pull for or you'll be disowned).  So, after the big decision, your team allegiance is stamped onto your birth certificate, and that's your team pretty much for life.  There are instances of people "becoming traitors" and deciding to swap teams, but it's kinda rare.  I was one of those.

That's right...I use to pull for Alabama, but now I happily yell "War Eagle!"  Well, not so happily here recently because they haven't been doing so hot, but that's another topic.  Anyhoo, since I jumped the fence, I have never been able to live it down or forget.  I'm not joking, stories are told about why I decided to abandon Alabama for Auburn.  Not only are there stories, but there are embellished tales.  The Legend of Callie's Conversion (as we'll call it) has been passed along and retold so many times, the real reason is no where to be found within the story, and nobody can actually remember how it truly came about.  I kid you not, I'm probably the only person that can actually tell you why I changed teams.  My own mother will argue with me and basically say "you don't know..."  Yeah, okay, Momma. I don't know why I no longer pull for Alabama.  O.o (that's googley eyes...it's my fave type expression)

I tell you all of this because it has a purpose.  You see it's a bit extreme, and a tad bit exaggerated (like stamping birth certificates), but it gets the point across to you.  If you had any doubts, you now know football is a big deal in Alabama.  Well, I thought our extremism couldn't be matched.  I. WAS. WRONG.  New Zealand is right up there with Alabama when it comes to devotion to their beloved sport.  The difference is, they're pulling for rugby teams, not football (grid iron as it's called here, they call soccer football).

If you're like I once was, you're sitting there thinking 'What's rugby?  Oh, that's that game kinda like football without pads!' Bingo!!  It's quite a bit like football, or at least I think.  You have a bunch of guys on a green field with lines and goal posts, and they run back and forth trying to get across one line or the other, and then they kick the ball and try to get it between the two goal posts!!  (Yes hubby dearest, I know my grammar and sentence structure was a lot worse than usual on that last one :P )  Also, like football, there's a whooooole lot of tackling and ramming into one another, and cheap head shots when they think the ref isn't looking.  Unlike football, they don't wear pads, they don't throw the ball forward, they don't get lots of time-outs, and it doesn't get drug out to last forty forevers because they're trying to stop the clock to win (it's 80 minutes with stops for penalties, injuries, and halftime).

Rugby takes all of my favorite things about football and hockey and mashes it all into a game that's even better because I don't get bored watching it!  On a side note, I know nothing about hockey other than it's pretty awesome when they start fighting.  Keep in mind, I've only been to two games, and I'm still learning about how the game is played.  My confusion is compounded by the different types of rugby.  There's Super Rugby (which are the games I've attended), there's Rugby Union (the All Blacks are Union), and then there's something called League.  From what I gather about League, it's like rugby, but rougher.  I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get bashed for not knowing the difference (I'm also gonna get bashed by both Auburn and Alabama fans, non-SEC fans, hockey supporters, and people against violence since I said I liked hockey fights). 

I'll get it all figured out eventually, and as I do, I'm sure you'll get to read aaaaallll about it.  It's still entertaining and fun to watch,.  So, since I can't tell you a whole lot about the game, I 'll show you instead.  Here we go...rugby in picutres!!!  Oh, and please forgive my blurry shots.  My phone camera has taken to being a royal pain when it comes to quality phots....

Pre-game Haka


More Haka

Scrum

Game Play

More Game Play

Now, I would like to take a minute to point out a few things.  The guy is pink is the ref, and I'm pretty sure I found that to be funnier than your average person would, hence the fact that I'm pointing it out.  I would also like you to take note that there are no pads being worn.  Those guys are hitting each other just like they do in football, and you don't hear them crying because someone was "roughing the quarter back".  Also, those guys play the whole game with the occasional substitute player.  They don't swap between offense, defense, and special teams.  I'm not saying that my beloved Auburn Tigers are falling from their pedestal, but I am saying I now appreciate other sports besides college football.

Oh, and those first pics I posted, the haka, well here's the All Blacks actually performing one.



No, the All Blacks are not what started the haka.  It's actually based on Maori tradition.  Want to know more about it?  You'll have to read my next post.  I know that sounds a bit mean, but Little Stevie is awake, and we're about to run a few errands.  So, on that note.  I'll be back soon to fill you in on the haka.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover