Friday, July 19, 2013

Just Jump Already!

Happy Friday from New Zealand!  With it being the weekend, I thought I would write about something fun/entertaining.  When I initially thought about my topic I was all gung-ho, but then I was like 'nah because some people know about this' and then I was like 'but wait, everyone isn't my facebook friend' so, I decided to write about it.  By now, I'm sure you're wishing I would stop rambling and actually get to writing about whatever it is I'm going to write about.  So, here goes...

Remember me posting about my trip to Auckland and the Sky Tower?  Here's a pic of the Sky Tower in case you missed it.

Sky Tower

See how tall it is?  It's 328 meters tall, which is 1,076 feet tall for those of you like me who are metrically challenged (yes, I still have issues with the metric system even though I've used it for the past 7 months).  Guess what you can do?  You can jump off of it!!  Yep, you can leap off the ledge!  If that isn't your cup of tea, you can also walk the ledge, but for some reason, that seems even more scarier than jumping.  I know, I'm weird.  I would much rather jump off with lines and wires attached to me versus inching my way around the thing with the same wires and lines attached to me.  I might fall! :D  For more info on that click here, or hop over to Jenny's Practically Perfect Blog to read more about it.

As you can tell, I did not jump off of it, but it is impossible to come to New Zealand and not jump off of SOMETHING!!!  They don't call us the Adventure Capital of the World for nothing.  What did I jump off?  I jumped off the side of a cliff (over water).  Initially, I thought that was a bit safer than jumping over the ground because at least if something goes wrong you don't go SPLAT!  I've changed my mind.  I've since realized that if something goes wrong over water, I'll most likely drown, which is worse than going SPLAT in my opinion.  But hey, if I was gonna exit the world when I jumped, at least this was my final view...





I bet you're going oooh and aaahh.  I know I did when I saw that beautifully colored water!  That's down at Taupo, which is where I bungy jumped back last June.  It was my first time, and I did it at Taupo Bungy.

Was I scared?  You betcha!!  Perhaps scarier than being drug off leaping off the platform was the number of times they weigh you.  "Hi!  I want to jump off that cliff side!"  "Step on the scale, please" O.o  Ummmm...I'm not THAT big of a girl.  After that, they weigh you again for good measure, weigh you with the person you're jumping with (if you're going tandem), weigh you with the equipment on, weigh you with the person you're jumping with once you're both strapped up, and then they weigh you one more time because they haven't given you a big enough complex.  Seriously, they do it for your safety, but it felt like they were trying to put me in therapy...lol

Okay, so once you're feeling kinda crappy after stepping on the scale so many times, they run through a few more safety checks, and then they encourage you to jump.  O.o  I would say by that time I was all prepared, but nope!  Still skeered!!  Luckily, I was strapped to Ben (because I felt better drowning with someone if something happened) and when he went, I had no choice but to go.

I screamed the entire 47 meters (154 feet) down!!  The only reason I stopped screaming is because the wind rushed down my throat and silenced me, but I was still screaming!  When it was all over, I was giving thank you prayers and actually wanted to do it again!!  I'll admit it was the biggest rush EVER!!  When I saw Sky Tower, it made me think of my bungy jump.

Wanna see Ben and me jumping?



Pretty scary huh?  Let me just add, grabbing that pole is a bit more difficult than it looks.  You're high on adrenalin, the blood has rushed to your head, and you're going round and round and round.  It doesn't seem like we're spinning that fast, but it feels like you're on the tilt-a-whirl!

I am keen for my next jump, which I plan to do solo, and maaaaaaybe it'll be the Sky Jump!  What do you think? (besides thinking I'm out of my head)  What are some jumps you have made or want to make?


1 comment:

  1. You did NOT! See what happens to a girl when you get her out of her comfort zone. Think it is fantastic but I can't even look out the upstairs window without getting squimish.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover