Thursday, July 4, 2013

Little Susie Homemaker

Remember me saying that we bought few convenience foods at market, or that time when I admitted to becoming a bit crunchy?  If not, click here or here and you can read exactly what I had to say.  Well, since I'm not currently working outside of the home, I have a bit of time on my hands, and I've used that time to sometimes be a Little Susie Homemaker.  June Cleaver better watch out!!  Not exactly, June looked put together while managing her humble abode.  Most times I'm wearing pajama pants, my hair has been washed (but not dried) and is in a pony tail, and I'm generally sporting a few spit up stains.  Don't judge!!  If you've never looked this way, you don't have children...or maybe you have some sort of alien super child that never spits up and gives you plenty of time for hair and makeup.

Anyhoo...appearances aside, I sometimes like to pretend to slave away in the kitchen over a hot burning stove while somehow managing to take care of a baby and have a tidy house.  Notice I did say pretend.  Usually, it goes something like this..."Crap!  We need (fill in the blank)!!  Stevie's going to start screaming in a minute...I better be quick!!"  I throw together whatever it is, wash up the few dishes, tell Stevie to hold her horses, fluff a few couch cushions, make the bed, dry a couple of tears, and there we are smiling and looking very accomplished when Ben comes home from work.

Lately, I have to give credit to the bread maker for making me look awesome.  It's winter, we've been having soup for dinner quite a bit, and nothing goes better with soup than fresh bread.  Here's an easy peasy recipe I'm going to share with you.  You too can look like a Stepford Wife by making this delicious Honey Nut Wheat Bread!! :D  You'll be able to find the complete recipe at the bottom of this post.
 
First, grab your breadmaker.  If you don't have one of these handy dandy machines, I can't help you...lol


Handy dandy breadmaker

Next, add 1 1/3 cups of luke warm water.  I'm not sure how hot luke warm is, but I made it on the warmer end since I was taking pictures throughout the process.

Water

Then comes 1/3 cups of softened honey.  I was using Manuka Honey, which is kinda pricey and used around here for medicinal purposes.  I didn't feel like running to market for more, so this is what I used.


Manuka Honey

It's also creamed honey, so I needed to heat it to soften it.  You can easily use 'runny' honey, but I prefer creamed honey.

Unsoftened creamed honey

 Next comes 1 Tablespoon of soft butter or margarine.



Butter...still cold

 Add 2 teaspoons of salt

Salt

2 cups of wholemeal flour (wheat)


Wholemeal flour

2 cups of high grade flour (all purpose flour)

 
Also known as All Purpose Flour
 3 Tablespoons of dry milk powder

Milk Powder

4 teaspoons of bread machine yeast.  I have active yeast, and so I only add 3 teaspoons.  If I add more, it rises too much, and then the middle will collapse.


Active Yeast, not the kind for bread machines

This is what it looks like once it's all added to your bread machine.


A big ol' mess!!

Turn your machine on to the wholewheat setting, and let it go.  I know what you're thinking...what about the nuts!!  Yes, well, you wait a bit.  My machine beeps (about 30 minutes into the cycle), and that's when the nuts get added.  I also toasted my nuts before adding them.

2/3 cups of walnuts (crushed)

Uncrushed toasted walnuts

About 3 1/2 hours later.  You get this!!


Bread!!!


Yummy goodness!!

There you have it!!  My cheaters guide to looking like Little Susie Homemaker!  Here's the complete recipe:

Honey Nut Wheat Bread
1 1/3 c luke warm water
1/3 c softened honey
1 Tbsp soft butter/margarine
2 tsp salt
2 c wholemeal flour (wheat)
2 c high grade flour (all purpose)
3 Tbsp dry milk powder
4 tsp bread machine yeast (3 if using active yeast)
2/3 c chopped walnuts (added at beeps)

Add ingredients in the order listed.  Turn your machine on to the wheat bread setting.  Add walnuts at the beeps.

My machine has a 30 minute time delay before it starts kneading.  It then beeps once everything is combined.  If your machine does not have this delay, add your nuts when machine has just started kneading and has everything combined.

I hope you enjoy this recipe.  I'm always anxious for other recipes to try, so feel free to share any of yours!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover